This hall chair is a companion of the hall chair commissioned by the Earls of Kintore c. 1730, listed as 130-149A. This current chair has slightly differing dimensions and was probably estate-made as a replacement. In addition, although the original hall chairs were constructed of mahogany and have developed a deep color through oxidation, this chair is constructed of oak and was colored in the mid nineteenth century to match its companion. The description and provenance of the original chairs is copied below.
English or Scottish c. 1730