Attributed to the Prior family of Uxbridge, Middlesex In the Thames Valley, this set consists of two arm chairs and six side chairs.
Each chair with a hooped back in yew wood with vertical pierced splats centered by roundels and shaped saddle seat in elm raised on well turned legs united by crinoline stretchers.
The Prior family were well regarded and distinguished chair makers for at least three generations from the second half of the 18th century until the third quarter of the 19th century. The dynasty was founded by John Prior and these chairs were probably made by his sons John and Robert in the very early 19th century.
Bernard Cotton illustrated two almost identical models of this chair in The English Regional Chair, 1990 on pages 78-80, one being stamped Robert Prior Maker on the side of the seat. In the text he states that although found in ash and fruitwood those made from yew and elm wood invariably have crinoline stretchers.
A very fine set.
English, Thames Valley c. 1790-1810