Designed in 1906 by Joseph Hoffmann for the Wiener Werkstatte and featured in the J. & J. Kohn catalogues as model no. 728, Hoffmann chose this design for the seating in Vienna’s Cabaret Fledermaus that opened in October 1907. For the time the design was a bold and radical departure for the gilded tradition of European nightclubs and instantly gained popularity.
A slight variant of the design for 170-115A the chairs are un-stamped but may well be by either Kohn or Mundus. The pair are of solid beech, the wood bent and stained brown and are upholstered in Hoffmann designed fabric.
Austria, first quarter of the 20th Century