A good pair of hall chairs in the Chippendale style, and after a design popularized by Robert Manwaring in The Cabinet and Chair- Maker’s Real Friend and Companion each with a twin ‘C’ scroll back centered a cartouche and painted with the Brownlow Crest, above a pierced splat and a serpentine solid seat, on molded cabriole legs. Sir Brownlow Cust (1744-1807) for whom the present chairs were made married firstly Jocosa Drury (1749-1772) in 1770 and secondly Frances Banks (1756-1847) in 1775. Cust was created Baron Brownlow of Belton Lincolnshire in 1776, and the crest painted without a coronet suggests that the chairs predate the elevation to the peerage. That the chairs display only the Cust crest points to a date when Brownlow Cust was unmarried. One chair later inscribed ‘Home, Home, Sweet Home’; ’30 Hill Street London’ and the dates 1785 and 1858, corresponding to the term of the leased London residence of Lord and Lady Brownlow. The Brownlow country seat, Belton House, is now owned by The National Trust.