A fine box with Legal, English and New Zealand interest.
The green leather and plush velvet lined interior with a pouch to the lid stamped Edwards Manufacturer, 21 King Street, Bloomsbury, London. Edwards were a fine quality manufacturer and retailer who operated from the Bloomsury address from 1817-1837. With brass campaign style handles to the sides and a Bramah lock. The top has an insert plaque engraved ‘Sir George A. Arney’. George Arney was born in Salisbury, England in 1810 and after a notable career at the bar was appointed the second Chief Justice of New Zealand in 1857. In 1862 while Chief Justice he was knighted for his services at which time he presumably returned his document box to have the plaque changed to reflect his new honor. In 1875 he retired to Torquay in Devon, England after he inherited a considerable estate from his brother.
English c. 1830
Now in the collection of the Supreme Court, Wellington New Zealand